Income and Rent/Utility Support Resources Under COVID-19 Emergency

May 29, 2020

Updated Today

Economic Impact Payment (EIP)

You should automatically receive a $1,200 EIP + $500 for each of your qualifying children. If you haven't received your payment or did not receive the correct amount, please call SMRLS at 1-888-575-2954.

Unemployment Insurance

  • Apply online at or call by phone: Twin Cities area (651-296-3644). This includes people not completely unemployed but who have had their work hours substantially reduced.
  • Anyone who has exhausted their regular benefits for the year should reactivate their account to get 13 weeks of extended benefits.
  • Anyone who does not have enough earnings to qualify for regular benefits, or who is disqualified from regular benefits because of a fraud over-payment, should still apply because they may be eligible for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance. This is the program for self-employed people, contractors, etc. 

Cash and food assistance

  • Apply for MFIP (for families) and GA (for singles) over the phone by calling their county public assistance office. 
  • SNAP for food support.

Emergency Assistance/Emergency General Assistance

  • Call your county human services office. In Ramsey County, call the EA unit at (651) 266-4884. Rules vary by county.
  • In some counties, some normal eligibility rules, including maximum payments, are being waived for 2020. The requirement that people afford the rental unit will still exist in some form.
  • Ramsey County is allowing people to use either EA or EGA twice in a 12-month period.
  • For utilities, first apply for Energy Assistance (see below) through June 30, 2020.
  • Some counties are not accepting applications for past due rent during the eviction moratorium. 

Energy Assistance through CAP agency for Help with Utilities

  • Call (651) 645-6470 for Ramsey and Washington counties and 651-322-3500 for Carver/Scott/Dakota counties. The deadline is June 30, 2020.
  • CAP can pay crisis funds for anyone with a past due balance, in addition to a basic grant.
  • For Xcel Energy customers, Power On and Medical Affordability programs are open, but you need to use Energy Assistance first.

Contact your local legal aid office if you are denied or have trouble getting any of the benefits listed above. Click or call Southern MN Regional Legal Services at 1-888-575-2954.

Leave Site