Healthcare Legal Partnership Coordinator
Are you ready to join an organization where you can make a difference in peoples’ lives?
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc. (SMRLS) is seeking a Healthcare Legal Partnership (HLP) Coordinator to join its HLP team. The position can be housed in either Mankato, MN or St. Paul, MN, with a final determination made upon an offer. This position will help the team with operations assistance, SMRLS-wide HLP projects along with setting up and running legal checkup clinics.
The position is one of four members of the company’s HLP team that assists in connecting clients in need to legal assistance. Come help us by being a contributor to the organization’s overall business strategy to provide legal aid to those most in need.
The HLP Coordinator will have a variety of duties, which may evolve over time depending on the needs of SMRLS and the HLP team. Initially, the responsibilities of the Coordinator will fall into three primary categories:
1. Administration of Legal Checkup Clinics. SMRLS has developed relationships with community partners to operate Legal Checkup Clinics. Legal Checkup Clinics provide critical access to our system of justice and are designed to identify a person’s legal issues before those issues worsen. The Coordinator will oversee the operation of current and ongoing Legal Checkup Clinics. The Coordinator will work with SMRLS HLP leadership to create and implement a strategy to pursue the expansion of the Legal Checkup Clinic program geographically in SMRLS’s service area through innovative technologies.
2. Coordination of SMRLS-wide HLP projects. The Coordinator will work with HLP team leadership to move the HLP team forward by assisting with the implementation of SMRLS-wide projects to strengthen the HLP practice group. These projects may include:
• HLP data collection and sharing
• HLP data standardization.
• SMRLS recently transitioned to a new case management system called Legal Server. The Coordinator will serve as the point person for the HLP team regarding Server to ensure that HLP workflow considerations, data collection, and reporting needs are incorporated as Legal Server is adopted firmwide.
Operations assistance for SMRLS HLPs. The Coordinator will address issues related to the flow of client information through the referral and intake process, legal casework, and “closing the loop” with referring providers. The Coordinator will complete intakes for the HLPs in St. Paul and Mankato. This will include accepting written referrals from HLP partners, completing pre-screens for potential clients, and communicating with HLP attorneys on new client matters. It will also include attending steering committee meetings, assisting in the resolution of issues that may arise between SMRLS and partner organizations.
3. Projects, education, and outreach. The Coordinator will work with the HLP unit lead and HLP staff attorneys to provide education events for HLP partner staff. The HLP coordinator will also work with the HLP partners to provide targeted training for SMRLS staff on medical issues relevant to our legal work. The Coordinator will assist with outreach events and conferences. The Coordinator will also assist the HLP unit with larger projects such as improving data collection and data standardization to help show health outcomes resulting from legal assistance.
4. In addition to the above three general areas of responsibility, the Coordinator may be responsible for other tasks ancillary to the Coordinator’s role within the HLP team.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Demonstrated understanding of legal aid services and the issues faced by SMRLS’s client eligible population
• Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income communities
• Demonstrated understanding of SDOH and the impact on low-income communities
• Ability to work effectively with different groups including SMRLS attorneys and support staff, healthcare staff, and individuals from diverse economic, cultural, educational, and social backgrounds
• Flexibility and willingness to travel to clinic and outreach locations, team meetings, and other locations as needed
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
• Ability to take initiative and demonstrated good decision-making skills
• Willingness to work as part of a diverse team spread across multiple locations
• Proficiency with Microsoft office suite, case management systems, and other office productivity tools
• Possession of a current driver’s license and access to a vehicle
• Bi-lingual capabilities strongly preferred
Position Open: Immediately. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Compensation: $33,878+ DOE plus good fringe benefits.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Southern MN Regional Legal Svcs.
55 East Fifth Street, Suite 800
Saint Paul, MN 55101-1473
SMRLS provides free, high-quality legal services in critical civil matters to low-income people in Southern Minnesota, as well as to agricultural workers throughout Minnesota and North Dakota. For more than 100 years, SMRLS has helped individuals and families secure and protect their basic needs, maintaining freedom from hunger, homelessness, sickness and abuse.
SMRLS Healthcare Legal Partnerships (HLPs) provide legal services to help address the social and economic factors impacting the health of low-income communities. Through these partnerships, SMRLS brings a legal services attorney to a healthcare clinic’s care team. These partnerships allow clinicians who identify legal issues that are negatively impacting a patient’s health to speak directly to a legal aid attorney to determine if the patient would benefit from legal services. Many of the attorneys are co-located at the healthcare partners’ offices. SMRLS currently has formal partnerships with 5 different healthcare providers throughout its service area. The organization is looking to expand this practice over the next 2 to 3 years.
SMRLS IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY IN THE WORKPLACE. WOMEN, MINORITIES, AND
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.