Director of Finance
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc., (SMRLS) is seeking to fill a Director of Finance position in its Administrative Office. This position will be located in downtown St. Paul.
SMRLS is a non-profit law firm which receives federal, state, local, public, and private funding to provide free legal help to low income and elderly people who reside in 33 counties of southern Minnesota. As Minnesota’s oldest legal aid program (founded in 1909), SMRLS has established a tradition of partnership with the private bar, a bi-partisan Legislature, the Minnesota Supreme Court and other Minnesota Legal Services Coalition programs in providing access to justice.
SMRLS has an experienced, dynamic staff of approximately 62 attorneys, 43 additional staff and 400 volunteer attorneys to provide legal assistance to over 200,000 eligible persons. SMRLS is a client-centered organization which is committed to its Mission of providing a full range of high quality legal services, in a respectful manner which enable clients to: enforce their legal rights; maintain freedom from hunger, homelessness, sickness and abuse; and empower persons and ensure equal opportunity, thus, helping persons to help themselves and become economically self-reliant, to the extent their individual abilities and circumstances permit. SMRLS values, welcomes and promotes diversity in all aspects of its work.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Office, the Director of Finance serves as the top Executive in the organization for all financial matters. The position supports all of SMRLS as a member of the Executive Team while supervising a staff of three in the Finance department. Work tasks include, but are not limited to, planning, implementation, managing, budgeting, forecasting and running all financial activities.
- Administers and maintains all organizational financial records including books of original entry, supporting schedules and subsidiary ledgers.
- Continually evaluates established financial/accounting policies and procedures and makes recommendations for updates or modifications as necessary.
- Collects and analyzes financial data to provide management with internal reports.
- Provides for an annual budgeting and planning process to insure long term financial sustainability.
- Supports all levels of the organization in budget preparation through training and by providing relevant information when appropriate.
- Establishes and maintains cost allocation policies for the organization.
- Provides special reporting and analysis of financial statements and budgeting process to SMRLS’ Board Finance/Audit Committee and is responsible for SMRLS’ overall financial administration.
- Establishes procedures for reviewing and approving budgeted expenditure justifications and approvals.
- Administer accounting information systems to track specific operational and financial data.
- Works to implement and update systems, including payroll, expense management, and cash management, among others.
- Cooperates with and assists external auditors as appropriate.
- Selects, trains and directs the Finance Department team in administering SMRLS finances; encourages professional development among team members; fosters positive interactions between team members and other SMRLS staff in the successful administration of grant portfolios.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The following qualifications are necessary to succeed in this role:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting is required.
- 10 years of non-profit experience required with an understanding of the management of federal awards and the administration of grant cost allocation.
- 5-10 years of supervisory experience required.
- Current use and/or demonstrated experience in Netsuite accounting system strongly preferred.
- Current or recent experience as a Finance Director or Controller for a non-profit preferred.
- Experience working with a non-profit Board preferred.
- Candidate must possess necessary knowledge and understanding of relevant accounting, tax and compliance rules and regulation for a 501 (c)3. This includes single audit and grant experience and preparation of the Form 990.
- Excellent computer skills required, including demonstrated proficiency in Excel.
- Candidate should have experience working in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
Salary is pursuant to scale, DOE. Good benefits provided.
To apply, click go to smrls.org/about-us/job-opportunities or submit cover letter, resume, and three references to:
SMRLSAttn: John Joachim55 E. 5th Street, Suite 800Saint Paul, MN 55101
Deadline to Apply
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
SMRLS is committed to diversity in the workplace. Women, people of color, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.