Agricultural Worker Project Staff Attorney
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc. (SMRLS) seeks a Staff Attorney to join its Agricultural Worker Project (AWP).
SMRLS provides free, high-quality legal help in critical civil matters to low-income people in southern Minnesota, as well as to agricultural workers throughout Minnesota and North Dakota. For more than 100 years, SMRLS has helped individuals and families secure and protect their basic needs, maintaining freedom from hunger, homelessness, sickness, and abuse.
AWP provides free civil legal services to agricultural workers in Minnesota and North Dakota focused on improving clients’ working and living conditions through legal representation, outreach, and education. AWP advises and represents clients with cases involving wage theft, workplace health and safety violations, inadequate employer-provided housing, labor trafficking, employment discrimination or retaliation, H-2A contract violations, and other legal matters that specifically impact agricultural workers. AWP provides legal rights education to agricultural workers in Minnesota and North Dakota through extensive outreach and presentations to agricultural worker communities.
AWP is looking for a motivated, creative, and flexible staff attorney who is bilingual in English and Spanish to join its team of dedicated attorneys and paralegals to address and resolve the myriad legal issues that negatively impact the working and living conditions of agricultural workers. AWP currently has staff in SMRLS’ offices in Moorhead, Minnesota and Saint Paul, Minnesota. The candidate selected for this position will be based in SMRLS’ Saint Paul office and will be supervised by the AWP Lead Attorney. In addition to maintaining a case load, the staff attorney is expected to travel throughout Minnesota with other staff members in order to conduct outreach to agricultural workers, provide legal rights presentations, and meet with clients.
• Resolve legal matters on behalf of agricultural worker clients through advice, negotiation, administrative advocacy, and state and federal litigation
• Conduct outreach with other AWP staff to agricultural workers throughout Minnesota from approximately May through October each year; one evening of outreach each week is typical
• Provide legal rights presentations to agricultural workers and to the organizations that support them
• Participate in case acceptance and other regular meetings with AWP staff
• Attend trainings and maintain current knowledge of laws impacting agricultural workers
• Supervise law students/temporary staff on occasion
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor
• Plans to sit for the Minnesota bar exam, admission to the Minnesota bar, or eligibility for admission on motion without examination
• Ability to speak Spanish preferred, but not required.
• Demonstrated commitment to serving the needs of low-income communities
• Ability to work with individuals from diverse economic, cultural, educational, and social backgrounds
• Willingness to work irregular hours, including some evening outreach and limited overnight travel, in order to meet the needs of AWP’s client community
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Willingness to work as part of a team
• Ability to take initiative and independently handle a case load
• Proficiency in Word, Excel, and Google systems
• Possession of a current driver’s license; access to a vehicle is preferred but not required
Position Open: Immediately. Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
Compensation: Annual salary of $53,509 + DOE, pursuant to SMRLS’ salary scale, plus good fringe benefits.
To apply, please visit www.smrls.org or submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Southern MN Regional Legal Services
55 East Fifth Street, Suite 800
Saint Paul, MN 55101-1473
SMRLS IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY IN THE WORKPLACE. WOMEN, MINORITIES, AND
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.