Documents to Present When You Get a Job

July 6, 2015

Everyone who gets a job must give their employer documents showing identity and eligibility to work in the United States.  But which documents do you have to provide to your employer?  There is a form called an “I-9” that lists acceptable documents to prove work eligibility. View a  copy of the form and directions.

The chart below explains the process for filling out the I-9:

I9 Chart.jpg

Available at:

If you present any ONE of the following documents that prove both identity and work eligibility, you should not be asked for any other document:

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card
  3. Employment Resident Card (with a photograph)

If you present the following combinations of documents, which together prove identity and work eligibility, you should not be asked for any other documents

  1. Driver's license/I.D. card + unrestricted U.S. Social Security Card
  2. Driver's license/I.D. card + Form I-94 (for asylees only)
  3. School I.D. card w/photograph (if under age 18) + unrestricted U.S. Social Security Card.

There are many combinations of acceptable documents.  Learn more.  

**If an employer asks you to provide only certain types of documents, or refuses to accept your documents, the employer may be unlawfully discriminating against you.  Contact the Office of Special Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice’s Worker Hotline at 1-800-255-7688 for more information.

If you need more help, call SMRLS at 1-888-575-2954.

Leave Site