Find out about our acceptance guidelines and if you may be eligible for our services.
SMRLS represents people 60 years or older with a focus on those in greatest social and economic need. Although we do not apply a means test for Seniors representation, we direct our representation to those most in need.
If you are a senior and have a problem with Social Security's SSI program, Medical Assistance, or have a nursing home or other matter, we may be able to help.
Cases we normally handle:
- Benefits: Food Stamps (SNAP), Medical Assistance (MA), Social Security Disability, Personal Care Assistance (PCA)
- Housing: Eviction, Subsidized Housing, Reasonable Accomodations of disabilities
- Elder Abuse
- Nursing Home payment, conditions, and discharge
- Health Care Directives
- Debt Collection/Garnishment
- Utility Shut-offs
- LawHelpMN Seniors
- Minnesota Board on Aging
- Metropolitan Area on Aging
- Minnesota River Area Agency on Aging
- Southeastern Minnesota Area on Aging
- National Center on Elder Abuse
- Planning Ahead includes information about legal planning tools, durable power of attorney, trusts, guardianship and conservatorships, health care directives, medical assistance, funeral planning, and wills.
- Seniors Information from the MN Department of Human Services
- Senior Linkage Line is a free state wide telephone information and assistance service which makes it easy for older adults and their families to locate community services. 1-800-333-2433
- Health Care Choices for Minnesotans on Medicare
- HIPAA: Questions and Answers for Family Caregivers
- Health Care Directive