Part Time Volunteer Attorney Program Coordinator - Rochester
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc. (SMRLS), is seeking to fill a 4 day per week Volunteer Attorney Program Coordinator position for its Southeast Region but is part of a team that covers our entire service area. The position may be located in either the Rochester, Albert Lea or Winona offices, but is temporarily remote. SMRLS is a mid-size law firm with over 100 employees, including over 60 staff attorneys.
SMRLS is a non-profit law firm which receives federal, state, local, public, and private funding to provide free legal help to low-income and elderly people who reside in 33 counties of southern Minnesota. As Minnesota’s oldest legal aid program (founded in 1909), SMRLS has established a tradition of partnership with the private bar, the Minnesota Supreme Court and other Minnesota Legal Services Coalition programs in providing access to justice. SMRLS has an experienced, dynamic staff of approximately 55 attorneys, 45 additional staff and 500 volunteer attorneys to provide legal assistance to over 200,000 eligible persons.
SMRLS is a client-centered organization which is committed to its Mission of providing a full range of high quality legal services, in a respectful manner which enables clients to: enforce their legal rights; maintain freedom from hunger, homelessness, sickness and abuse; and empower persons and ensure equal opportunity, thus, helping persons to help themselves and become economically self-reliant, to the extent their individual abilities and circumstances permit. SMRLS has adopted Practice Standards and Guiding Principles to accomplish its Mission. SMRLS values, welcomes and promotes diversity in all aspects of its work. SMRLS serves clients from a wide range of backgrounds. SMRLS has adopted a Racial Justice Policy to guide the firm’s work towards racial equality.
The Volunteer Attorney Coordinator fills an important role in the SMRLS Volunteer Attorney Program (VAP). The VAP program plays a critical role in SMRLS by expanding the resources and services delivery models available to serve eligible clients with significant legal needs. Volunteer Attorneys serve our clients by providing representation to individual clients or working with SMRLS’ clients in clinic settings arranged by the Volunteer Coordinator.
The Volunteer Attorney Program Coordinator position is responsible for:
- Developing and executing a creative and effective Attorney Recruitment plan for the southeast region, in partnership with the VAP supervisor and team,
- Placing cases with volunteer attorneys and maintaining regular contact with clients whose cases are awaiting placement, closing volunteer cases when completed
- Maintaining the volunteer attorney database. Preparing for and staffing brief services clinics in the SE region, recruiting volunteer attorneys to serve as subject-matter experts at the clinics, recruiting volunteer attorneys and law clerks to work with clients at the clinics
- Developing strong relationships with SMRLS’ staff and ensuring that the Volunteer Attorney Program is an integral part of SMRLS’ practice strategy
- Record maintenance for case placements and clinics
- Marketing the clinics in the SE region
- Assisting with volunteer attorney recognition efforts
- Public speaking about SMRLS and the Volunteer Attorney Program, participating in bar associations and other legal community activities
- Providing other support to the Volunteer Attorney Program as needed.
Significant personal contact with attorneys and volunteers throughout SMRLS’ southeast service area is required, with some travel throughout those counties. The responsibilities of this position may change over time based on client and SMRLS program needs.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work constructively with others as a team.
• Good judgment, creativity, initiative and solid organizational skills are essential.
• Strong computer skills and knowledge of common office programs such as Email, Word and Excel required.
• Ability to learn quickly and work hard, independently, efficiently, and under pressure.
• Ability to tactfully and professionally give and accept constructive criticism required.
• Public speaking experience and ability to meet with professionals is required, with ability to project a positive image of SMRLS.
• Ability to work effectively with survivors of domestic violence and persons from different cultural backgrounds is essential.
Preference is given to attorneys, but non-attorney candidates, especially those with law firm experience or volunteer coordination are encouraged to apply
Bi-lingual candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
DOE according to salary scale and is benefits eligible. Specific schedule to be agreed on and has some flexibility.
To apply, click the “Apply” button below or submit cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Attn: Lezlie Paulus
55 East 5th Street, Suite 400
St. Paul MN 55101
Deadline to Apply
Applications will be considered until the position is filled.
SMRLS IS COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY IN THE WORKPLACE. WOMEN, MINORITIES, AND
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ESPECIALLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.