Human Resources Manager
SMRLS is seeking SMRLS is seeking a full-time bilingual Human Resources Manager. The position will be primarily located in SMRLS’ central office in Saint Paul, Minnesota, but involves extensive travel throughout Minnesota during parts of the year.
SMRLS provides free, high-quality legal help in critical civil matters to low-income people in southern Minnesota, along with agricultural workers throughout Minnesota and North Dakota. For more than 100 years, SMRLS has helped individuals and families secure and protect their basic needs, maintaining freedom from hunger, homelessness, sickness, and abuse. SMRLS has an experienced, dynamic staff of 60 attorneys and 45 additional staff and values, welcomes and promotes diversity in all aspects of its work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage the human resources function for all offices of SMRLS.
- Reports to CEO.
- Maintain confidential personnel records for each employee in compliance with all state and federal laws and SMRLS policies.
- Coordinate all the benefits programs for SMRLS employees including health, dental and life insurance, long and short term disability, 403(b) accounts and flexible benefit accounts.
- Coordinate and administer the Workers’ Compensation and disability program.
- Under the direction of the CEO, review and revise SMRLS’ personnel policies and procedures.
- Write and edit employment advertisements for publication.
- Works with Executive Assistant to maintain lists of publications.
- Review resumes and refer them to the appropriate leadership attorney. Assist the leadership attorney in screening and interviewing applicants, checking references and determining appropriate salary levels.
- Coordinate staff training; maintain staff training records and goals.
- Assist employees in resolving conflicts with co-workers and supervisors.
- Assist and support leadership and supervising attorneys and other supervisors in resolving personnel problems with staff.
- Serves as EEO specialist; files EEO-1 report annually and semi-annually; maintain other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
- Process all new employees and all change-of-status forms.
- Provides public information such as verifying employment.
- Monitors unemployment claims and follows up appeals.
- Monitors performance appraisal program.
- Other duties as delegated by the CEO when needed.
Knowledge and Skills:
- General knowledge of principles and practices of personnel administration.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with other management staff, employees, and the general public.
- Computer skills. Must be knowledgeable of word-processing, windows, spreadsheets and data base programs.
Education and Work Experience:
- A bachelor’s degree and three (3) to five (5) years of Human Resources experience, OR
- A master’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field and two (2) years of experience in the H.R. field, OR
- Seven (7) years of experience in the H.R. field, OR
- A similar combination of education and experience.
Licenses and/or Certificates Required:
- Society for Human Resources Management certification (Professional in Human Resources or Senior Professional) desirable.
- Ability to sit 70% of work day.
- Able to sit in front of the computer and type 30% of work day.
- Able to lift up to 20 pounds.
- Able to travel outside the office and attend meetings, seminars, etc.