Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc. (SMRLS) is seeking a Development Director. The Development Director will be the primary fundraising partner with the CEO and the Campaign for Legal Aid (CLA), responsible for creating and driving all development and annual fundraising plans, maintaining and expanding a robust, diverse grant portfolio; and developing a donor cultivation strategy which includes a fundraising, cultivation and special events calendar.
Development Director is a salaried exempt position.
- Collaborate with CLA and CEO to create annual Development Plan.
- Engage key stakeholders in development planning where appropriate.
- Create plan for donor cultivation; present plan to CLA for approval.
- Act as liaison between Board, CLA and donors and potential donors to keep cultivation efforts moving forward.
- Actively cultivate donors and potential donors.
- Maintain accurate records in donor database of donor history and cultivation efforts.
- Create annual event calendar; present event calendar to CLA for approval.
- Execute details of event calendar, including timeline; event budget; external communications: print, social networking and media; and engage subcontractors and oversee project execution where necessary.
- Communicate regularly with CLA and Event Sub-Committee.
- Maintain diverse grant portfolio consisting of public and private foundation funding. Research new funding opportunities.
- Create grant calendar of due dates for proposals and compliance reports.
- Responsible for all grant proposal writing, the timely submission of complete grant proposals and compliance as required by funder.
- Collaborate with Controller on budget reports for funders.
- Cultivate relationships with current and potential funders.
- Utilize multiple platforms in communications strategy (e.g. print, electronic, social media, etc.)
- Prepare all organizational publications (e.g. Annual report, quarterly e-newsletters, press releases, where appropriate, etc.)
- Maintain CLA email list.
- Maintain consistency in all areas of organizational branding.
- Cultivate relationships with key legislators.
- Advocate for funding for SMRLS programs at the state level.
Supervise Development Staff:
- Assign and monitor progress on initiatives.
- Seek opportunities for professional development.
- Conduct six-month and annual performance reviews.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Strong interpersonal skills
Ability to work cooperatively with and under the direction of the CEO
Ability to set clear priorities and delegate
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships
Strong organizational skills; deadline driven
Ability to work independently without close oversight
Excellent team player open to working in a fluid, fast paced environment
Commitment to SMRLS’ mission is essential
Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree preferred
5 years experience in the development field
Track record of success in non-profit development and fundraising with measurable outcomes
Valid driver’s license and available personal vehicle
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Primarily office environment, with periodic in-state travel to courts or events and occasional out-of-state travel;
Duties require regular standing; sitting; walking; using hands to finger, handle, feel; reaching with hands and arms; stooping or kneeling; occasional lifting or moving of up to 30 pounds; periodically driving.
Duties also require talking, hearing and vision.
This job description is provided to illustrate the general nature and level of work to be performed. It is not comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required. Other duties may be assigned.