Development Assistant, St. Paul, Minnesota
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc. (SMRLS) is seeking a Development Assistant located at its St. Paul, Minnesota office. The Development Assistant provides administrative support to the Director of Development.
SMRLS is a non-profit law firm which receives federal, state, local, public and private funding to provide free legal help to low income and elderly people who reside in 33 counties of southern Minnesota, as well as the areas served by its farm worker unit. As Minnesota’s oldest legal aid program (founded in 1909), SMRLS has established a tradition of partnership with the private bar, a bipartisan legislature, the Supreme Court and other Minnesota Legal Services Coalition programs in providing access to justice. SMRLS has an experienced, dynamic staff of approximately 60 attorneys and 45 additional staff. Hundreds of volunteer attorneys help staff provide legal assistance to over 10,000 eligible persons each year.
SMRLS is a client-centered organization which is committed to its mission of providing a full range of high quality legal services, in a respectful manner which enable clients to enforce their legal rights; to maintain freedom from hunger, homelessness, sickness and abuse; and to empower persons and ensure equal opportunity, thus, helping persons to help themselves and to become economically self-reliant, to the extent their individual abilities and circumstances permit. SMRLS values, welcomes and promotes diversity in all aspects of its work. SMRLS has adopted practice standards and guiding principles to accomplish its mission.
- Work under the direction of the Director of Development to generate, submit, and track applications for private foundation grants.
- Preliminary research of new foundation funding opportunities, in consultation with substantive experts.
- Prepare and submit reports for existing grants
- Draft language for individual solicitations, including annual appeals and targeted campaigns
- Manage annual appeal mailings and follow-up
- Process donations and prepare acknowledgement letters and other correspondence
- Maintain donor files and lists
- Assist in preparation and design of quarterly newsletters, annual reports, brochures, print outreach materials, etc.
- Assist in development and postings of firm-wide social media
- Assist in posting information to SMRLS’ website
- Assist in preparing and sending email communications to donors and organizational partners
- Manage Campaign email account
- Arrange committee meetings, send meeting notices and agendas, and track attendance
- Take minutes at Campaign committee meetings
- Maintain committee rosters
The Campaign for Legal Aid holds two events each year, an annual fundraising gala and a Fall Appreciation Luncheon. This position works closely with the Director of Development to plan and execute each event. Key responsibilities include:
- Develop event identity and print collateral (invitations, postcards, auction booklets, etc.)
- Track guest registration
- Help solicit event sponsors and auction items
- Oversee silent auction for annual gala
- Miscellaneous administrative tasks associated with events
- Manage Donor database and reporting (DonorPerfect)
- Maintain Development Department and grants calendars
- 3-5 years development experience preferred
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but will consider Associate’s with relevant experience in a related field
- Professional grant writing experience required
- Excellent written communication skills
- Experience with donor management software
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Experience with Adobe InDesign
- Experience with Constant Contact
- Excellent organization skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently on multiple projects at once
- Great interpersonal skills
- Some travel throughout Minnesota
Salary: DOE pursuant to scale. Good benefits provided.
Starting date: As soon as possible. AAEOE