Bilingual (English/Spanish) Paralegal/Outreach Worker - St. Paul
Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services, Inc. (SMRLS) is seeking a full-time bilingual (English/Spanish) paralegal/outreach worker for its Agricultural Worker Project. The position will be primarily located in SMRLS’ central office in Saint Paul, Minnesota but involves extensive travel throughout Minnesota during parts of the year.
SMRLS provides free, high-quality legal help in critical civil matters to low-income people in southern Minnesota, along with agricultural workers throughout Minnesota and North Dakota. For more than 100 years, SMRLS has helped individuals and families secure and protect their basic needs, maintaining freedom from hunger, homelessness, sickness, and abuse. SMRLS has an experienced, dynamic staff of 60 attorneys and 45 additional staff and values, welcomes and promotes diversity in all aspects of its work.
SMRLS’ Agricultural Worker Project provides free civil legal services to eligible agricultural workers in any county in Minnesota or North Dakota.
The Agricultural Worker Project focuses its work on improving the working and living conditions of agricultural workers in Minnesota and North Dakota through legal representation and education. It handles cases related to wage theft, workplace health and safety, housing connected to employment, discrimination/retaliation, among other legal matters that specifically impact agricultural workers. Additionally, it educates agricultural workers in Minnesota and North Dakota regarding their legal rights through extensive outreach and presentations to agricultural worker communities.
- Answer/return phone calls, conduct intake interviews, and provide referrals as necessary;
- Perform extensive outreach to agricultural workers throughout Minnesota in late spring, summer, and early fall, including some nights and weekends;
- Create and update legal rights materials;
- Provide presentations to agricultural worker groups and community partners, including some nights and weekends;
- Create reports and mapping related to outreach and presentations;
- Provide litigation support through written and verbal client communication and document gathering; and
- Other duties as assigned based on client and litigation needs.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and Spanish;
- Ability to conduct fact-intensive intake interviews in a detailed matter;
- Demonstrated interest in serving the needs of low-income communities, preferably agricultural workers specifically;
- Comfort working with individuals from varying economic, cultural, educational, etc. backgrounds;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to remain calm and act professionally under pressure;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Self-motivation and initiative;
- Ability to work both as a team and independently;
- Willing and able to travel throughout Minnesota, including possessing a current driver’s license and vehicle; and
- Computer proficiency.
$29,730 + DOE, pursuant to scale, plus fringe benefits.
Click the "Apply" button below, or submit a cover letter, resume, and three references by February 17, 2017 to:Katie Hawkins, Executive AssistantSouthern MN Regional Legal Svcs.55 East Fifth Street, Suite 1000Saint Paul, MN 55101-1473
SMRLS is committed to diversity in the work place. Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.